The Virtual Private Network (VPN) technology prevents data moving over the Internet from being intercepted by third parties. Users may also evade internet censorship, utilize torrents safely, and prevent pricing discrimination based on geography by changing their geo-location.
The epidemic has reshaped the global corporate environment by promoting the concept of remote work. Secure remote network access is becoming increasingly critical as a result of this transition. VPN is the silver bullet in this situation since it allows you to connect to the Internet via an encrypted tunnel, ensuring the anonymity of online activities and protecting sensitive data in transit.
In this post, I will present some fascinating, up-to-date VPN data, offer a historical perspective on this technology, analyze its benefits and downsides, and compare the top five VPN services to select from in 2021.
101 VPN technology
When a user activates VPN on their device, online traffic is routed through an encrypted tunnel. For connection tunneling, most VPN providers employ the symmetric AES-256 encryption standard. As a consequence, the user’s online actions and IP address are concealed from prying eyes.
If the tunneling operation fails, a device known as the Kill Switches instantly activates. It disables the unprotected connection while keeping the user anonymous.
VPN facts you should know
One of the most common types of technology that consumers download on devices is a client. According to SurfShark, about 30% of Internet users have installed it. When accessing public wifi, the great majority of people do so to better their privacy and security. Let’s have a look at some intriguing VPN facts and statistics from across the world that shows its usage tendencies.
The VPN industry will be worth $31 billion in 2021. A VPN was used by one-quarter of all people using the internet in 2017. By the end of 2021, each third user will be adopting this method to protect their online activity. According to Statistics, the VPN industry will expand by $4.5 billion in 2021 against 2020, up from $2.5 billion in the previous several years.
Males account for 62% of its users. A VPN connection is used by half of all users at least once per month. In terms of demographics, 75 percent users are 37 and under, indicating that the technology is rapidly being used by the millennial population. According to GlobalWebIndex, 25% of users are between the ages of 38 and 55. Only 16% of people over the age of 55 use these services to secure their web browsing.
VPNs are most commonly used to secure one’s privacy. Statista.com data provides light on people’s main reasons to use a VPN connection. Surprisingly, safe access to a company network is only listed fifth on this list:
- Protecting privacy when using public Wi-Fi – 51%.
- Anonymous web surfing – 44%.
- Secure communication – 37%.
- Accessing blocked sites – 23%.
- Accessing work resources – 22%.
- Hiding online activities from the government – 21%.
- Accessing censored content – 18%.
- Discounts when shopping online – 18%.
- Accessing Tor browser – 14%.
Why should you use it?
Let’s go through some of the main reasons why you should utilize a VPN when browsing the internet.
- Wi-Fi security: When you use public hotspots to access the internet, you risk being a victim of cybercrime. In these situations, it can help by encrypting all web traffic.
- Confidentiality: ISPs can “see” all activity on local area networks and collect data on customers, which they may then monetize in some way. By encrypting data, this connection preserves the user’s privacy.
- Material may be accessed from any place: Because a VPN replaces the external IP address with the IP address of a specified server, geo-location-based restrictions can be avoided.
- Remote work security: All VPN communication is encrypted, and the data is unavailable to other parties, as previously stated. This provides a reasonable amount of security for remote teams.
- A multi-platform strategy: A good VPN provider will usually include applications for all contemporary devices and platforms.
Advantages and Disadvantages:
Let’s look at some of the most prevalent benefits and drawbacks of using a this connection. The following are the main advantages:
- Even your local provider cannot observe your online activities when you use a this connection.
- Changing geo-location. You may connect to a server in any country supported by the VPN service in only a few clicks. This enables the specified country’s external IP address. It give you immediate access to resources that are prohibited in your location.
- Split tunneling is a technique that allows network packets to be split without disrupting the VPN connection.
Let us now look at the “basic” disadvantages:
- Slower surfing. Traffic must be encrypted before it is delivered and decoded. This necessitates the expenditure of resources and time, resulting in a somewhat slower connection as compared to a straight connection without a VPN.
- VPN programs are frequently used to circumvent some form of blocking.
- It starts at a few dollars per month, with extra possibilities based on your need.
How to Select a VPN in 2021
A lot relies on the goals you want to achieve. Assume you want to select the greatest quality VPN service across the board. What are the requirements?
Some services provide free trial access for a few hours or a day, allowing you to try them out with no strings attached. Before you begin testing, visit the VPN service’s website and look for the following parameters:
- Servers’ locations Check out the list of approved locations and countries if you require comprehensive server coverage.
- Several things influence the ultimate speed. Only hands-on testing on a variety of devices can give you the whole picture.
- Encryption is a security feature. OpenVPN or AES-256 encryption techniques, for example, must be available.
- The policy on security. It’s crucial to know what kind of private information the VPN service collects and how it handles it.
- Compatibility with many devices. Consider a VPN company that enables you to use a single account across several devices if you need to access the internet via VPN from multiple devices.
- Torrents and streaming Examine whether the VPN provider enables torrent protocols and gives you access to streaming services.
- IP addresses that change. It is more reliable than one that is static.